The IBDP is renowned world-wide as the best curriculum in education. It is an academically challenging course of study founded on the philosophy that though education, we can together build a better, more sustainable world community.
The IB Diploma Programme (DP) is dedicated to students aged 16 to 19. It is recognised by over 2000 institutions world-wide, including top universities. We are proud that Thames IBDP alumni study at some of the world’s top universities, including:
- University of Cambridge, UK
- Sorbonne University, France
- Harvard University, USA
- Stanford University, USA
- The University of British Columbia, CANADA
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
- New York University, USA
- Queen Mary University of London, UK
Thought the program, students are assessed internally. The faculty tracks how well they learn the content of each course, and gives feedback in their process. Assessment tools range forms traditional tests and essays to one-on-meetings.
The programme takes two years of study and finishes with students sitting external examinations at the end of the programme.
Students also take part in the DP core, which consists of the Theory of Knowledge Course; Creativity, Action and Service Project; and the Extended Essay.
- In the Theory of Knowledge Course, students investigate how they know what they know, and through this, develop skills that heighten their intellectual awareness and acuity, providing them with tools that allow them to participate more effectively in the global arena.
- Creativity, Action and Service is a 2 year long project that supports student development of creativity through physical exercise, and experiential learning through community engagement. This project represents an opportunity for students to explore activities they are interested in but may not be a part of the curriculum. It is also a stepping stone to life-long comment involvement.
- The Extended Essay is a university style research paper written on a topic of the students choosing, and produced under the guidance of an advisor. It should take about 40 hours of work and be a maximum of 4,000 words. The experience of writing this essay gives students an authentic, university level challenge, supported by the faculty at Thames.
The DP curriculum is made up of six subject groups. IB Diploma students must select one subject from each of the groups. Three of the IB subjects are usually selected at the standard level (SL), and three are taken at the higher level (HL). SL courses require at least 150 teaching hours, while HL courses require at least 250 hours.
Students take a minimum 1 course each from the experimental sciences, the social sciences, maths, their strongest language in Language A, an additional language, and may take an optional art course. These courses provide subject-specific content knowledge, while the cooperative teaching methodology develops intellectual skills that serve students well in University and beyond.
Our students can choose from 20 courses that are offered within 6 subject groups:
Group 1: Studies In Language and Literature
The course is based on literary studies in a student’s mother tongue, or their best language. The subjects that we offer include:
- Polish A
- Polish B
Group 2: Language Acquisition
The course is based on learning a foreign language which is delivered either for beginners or for more fluent users.
Group 3: Individuals And Societies
- Business Managment
Group 4: Sciences
- Computer Science
Group 5: Mathematics
- Mathematics: Applications and Interpretation
- Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches
Group 6: Arts, or electives
- Visual Arts
We are always delighted to hear from prospective parents that are considering our international school for their children’s education. Please do not hesitate to call us on the phone number above or select from the options below:
Note: As an international school we conduct admissions placement all throughout the year. Applications for the academic year 2022-2023 are for children in Nursery (2.5 years old) through to Cambridge A/AS Levels and IB DP (19 years old).